Sunday, June 20, 2010

RESORT, SHMESORT


I've never really understood Resort season. I just can't relate to it. I don't own a yacht, I don't vacation in St. Barth's. When and where am I going to wear this clothing? You've got Spring and Fall RTW, which to me make sense as they are actual seasons that correspond to weather conditions and color pallets, and it's like the fashion industry needed to squeeze even more money out of consumers so it created this additional season that doesn't quite fit. Can't you wear spring clothes on your yacht? Do you need an entirely new wardrobe for your 2-week vacation (or 3 months, I suppose, depending on your income level and job flexibility)? Are you so terribly wealthy that you simply can't think of anywhere else to spend your money? I'm sorry, but it all seems a little too bourgeois for me. For heaven's sake, donate that cash to charity! (Or to me, so I can buy my own spring wardrobe).

And artistically speaking, please tell me when a Resort has ever been groundbreaking or innovative. Tailored neutral-hued pants, check. Flowy, breezy dresses, check. Floppy straw hats, check. Blah, blah, blah. Even the Balenciaga show was boring, if not downright ugly. (See above).

I will, however, admit that Carlos Miele made some beautiful gowns (right). But I still do not understand how they fit in the "Resort" category. Why does this gown belong in resort season instead of Spring? Or Fall, for that matter? Do gowns have seasons? Am I missing something?

And Sarah, to answer your question, I believe lady hats are appropriate in three situations: (1) on a yacht, to shield your beautiful, delicate skin from the harsh rays, (2) at a polo match a la Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, and (3) to Sunday church service if you live in the deep south. Am I right?

1 comment:

  1. shooot, but i want to wear ladyhats so badly and i dont qualify for any of those three!
    and i do see your point about resort. I just like the swimsuits, really. I also think the timing is nice. It's got a mix of spring and fall and you don't have to wait all this time in between those respective shows. The runway is all about the fantasy anyway, so there's no need to start being pragmatic now ;)

    ReplyDelete