Saturday, June 19, 2010

mmm resort...

Soo...I've been an absentee member here, thanks CG for continuing to post in spite of your acrimonious feelings towards the formatting tool ;) I hate it too.

I have a lot that I want to post, but first, I've actually been meaning to make pretty and post my thoughts on the Resort 2011 shows. The overall impression I got from looking at the majority of the collections on Style.com is the tug of war between masculine and feminine. Perhaps this is always the case on some level with high fashion- they tend to have a thing for androgyny - but what I've been noticing is the collections really working to take menswear and give it a good feminine twist. I've jumped on this bandwagon and got myself a lovely new black blazer on sale from Target ($15, woot!). As for color, yellow and gray really jumped out at me- and I love these two colors together. I also liked the lady hats, but if I may ask, when is it apropos to wear the lady hat?? Where and when do you wear hats besides to keep warm and how do you do it??

Moving along...
(keeping in mind that I have not looked at ALL posted collections) here is my list of hits and misses for Resort 2011
HITS
Oscar de la Renta: Love, love love. This is how I pictured country club women when I was a kid and really, really poor. I'm not a fan of the deep red bubble dress. I’m feelin' the hats. This collection also seemed to have every body-type in mind. It maintained a lot of the ODLR feel at heart with jabs of trendiness, and I’m definitely okay with that. And my favorite? The polka-dot full skirt with the lace bodice.
Erin Fetherston: I really liked this collection. It was ladylike, but not demure. I felt inspiration from each decade from the 30s-60s (again the hats) and while I personally am not a big follower of the black skinny leg pant (if I haven’t made that clear enough), here they give these vintage looks a modern and more masculine twist. (above)
Rag and Bone This collection conjured up the image of the private school girls smoking in the bathroom. I loved the sweaters tied on the hip- sideways: the only way I’ve ever seen that worn and look cool. 

MISSES
Michael Kors: Yuck! What happened? Where is his resort, anyway, the arctic circle? I appreciate his personal take on Resort with his "destination" theme, but come on.
 Chloe Sevigny: I’m not sure if it’s the model, the background, or the clothes themselves, but it just comes off as trying too hard to be cool and hip- like someone trying to imitate Betsey Johnson - and not having the guts to go all the way over the top, so it’s stuck in this clumsy middleground.

 Givenchy: It wasn't all bad, but the opening look and the leopard print made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. (Money saving tip: This + a jacket from grandma's closet = This)

The rest of what I saw only had a few noteworthy pieces (Marc Jacobs, Versace, for Donna Karen), and the others were just plain boring. What do you think?


1 comment:

  1. My GOD that is a beautiful dress. Oh Oscar, how do you do it? I do love the crisp preppy clean lines of Erin Fetherston too though. Her stuff is always so cute!

    ReplyDelete