Monday, August 30, 2010

Taking the boredom outta brown

I'm going to make a call here. While I'm still really into the smokey purple color for nails, I'm moving onto what I believe will be the next big hit for nails: brown. You may think it's a blah color, but a good brown is the perfect fall color and if your polish has the staying power to last you a few weeks, brown is ideal because it won't clash with what you've got going on, and most shades are office-safe. (As opposed, to, say, green).

Sketchy Character
 A dark brown is also great for those who love the idea of black polish, but don't want to take the plunge at the risk of feeling too gothic, and the earthy shades are also on-trend with the industry's current crush on the military.

Ok, so I'm not the first to say it; Elle for one called it out as a big color this past spring, but I feel it's even better as the weather gets cooler.
Just be sure to find the right shade for your skin tone so that it doesn't look like nail fungus or something you stole from grandma. I've already got mine: Finger Paints' 'Sketchy Character' from Sally Beauty Supply.

(The StyleList)
You can also find a good brown at Sephora of course, with the eponymous brand's 'Brownie 9', 'L07 Mocha', 'L08 Choco', 'L22 Coffee in NY'. Elle Mentions OPIs 'Chop-Sticking to My Story', which to me looks more orange than brown, but I do like the Chanel shade it mentioned, Particulière, which was featured in it's Spring runway show. Chanel will also be debuting Khaki Brun (my favorite of the trio...seriously, what adult wears green polish!?).

If you don't want to go all-in on brown town, I suggest more bronze and shimmery colors. Sephora by OPI has really nice shimmery browns for a more reasonable price than Chanel, and with high-end quality:

Okay, so now you have a ton of options. Go find your shade and rock it and everyone will think you're super cool and want to copy you.

No comments:

Post a Comment