Monday, October 4, 2010

Spring's favorite girl you've never heard of

Balmain Spring 2011 (style.com)
Freja Beha Erichsen  has a unique look that has definitely got me to take notice. I'm just surprised how she is not yet at 'Tao' (as in Okomoto) status. As I was going through the Spring 2011 RTW collections, I first thought, 'have I seen this girl before?', and then it evolved into 'there she is again!' until after the zilliionth time that I saw her, I finally made note of her name. Although I don't believe she's had the honor of opening any shows this season (maybe I'm wrong), she apparently opened for Miu Miu in the fall of 2005. This spring show you can find her walking the walk for Stella McCartney, Celine, Lanvin, Balenciaga, Balmain, Bottega Venetta, Versace, Prada, and Gucci among many others. See? It's no joke; this girl is everywhere. So what is it about this Dane that makes her so desirable in spite of her normal, wispy brown hair? (remember, high fashion and silly hair are nearly synonymous.) First of all, I think her look is defined by her jaw line. She has a very masculine
/androgynous lower jaw bone that creates a lovely little shadow while she's on the catwalk. Her look is very easily rough and calls to mind a late 80's/early 90's rocker chick- which isn't a huge leap considering her 16 tattoos and counting. She also looks like a model version of Sigourney Weaver, and anyone who's seen Alien knows she's badass.

At the same time, Freja can look very sleek and ladylike. Lastly, she's quite versatile: depending on the show, I'd guess she was Russian, Mongolian, Argentine or American. Either way, I think she is one of those 'acquired tastes' kinds that I was at first slightly annoyed by, like Georgina Stojilkovic, but one that I have grown to look forward to seeing in each show that comes out. One of these days I'll do a post of the models I think should be the it girls, which will definitely include Heloise Guerin and Tayane Leão.
Freja in Michael Kors and Diesel in Spring2011 (photos: style.com)

2 comments:

  1. Really you've never heard of her? I've been admiring Freja (and trying to decide how to pronounce her name) for years. She's definitely one of my favorite faces. So memorable. I'm glad you did a post on her! I'm dying for time to do a post entitled "An Ode to Karlie Kloss." I just LOVE her. Or at least a post of my Top 10 models. Maybe we'll have more in common (gasp!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe yeah, this is the first time she's really caught my attention. maybe the title is more appropriately the spring fave IVE never heard of ;) in my head, i pronounce it frezha, but who knows. i tend like the pretty ones more than the edgy ones. karlie kloss is def. cool...very neat lips.

    ReplyDelete