Thursday, April 8, 2010

Most Fashionable Movies: Mostly Modern
...to add to CG's post

Ok, I’m wincing as I type this, but when brainstorming movies to add to the fashion list, the first one that came to mind was Twilight *winces harder*. Yea, it’s a teeny-bopper movie, but if you can get past all its shortcomings (and Kristen Stewart’s awful acting), it’s really nice to rest the ole brain and just enjoy the visuals. Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) looks like he’s walked right off the pages of GQ. Day-umm. I love all of his jackets- especially the military pea coat. InStyle says he was dressed with “a mix of American Apparel T-shirts, jackets from G-Star, H&M shirts, Chimala jeans, and A-life sneakers or vintage boots”. Budget stuff. Looked great. I also loved the looks of the villain vampires in the movie, especially the female. She actually looks like a naughtier replica of Kate Hudson’s character in Almost Famous with the blonde curls and furry coat.

Admit it, these could easily be editorials for a Levis ad campaign


The Cell: I absolutely love this movie; it has all of my favorite elements, one of which is to be visually stunning—scenery and costumes alike. The costumes were designed by Oscar winner Eiko Ishioka, who also designed costumes for a runner-up on my list, The Fall. I love J-Lo’s white, feathered dress in the desert, her gothic-harem outfit, her bouncy curly hair, and so on.

The villain (Vincent D’Onofrio) in the movie is also great. He has capes, twisted horns, harem pants, and a medieval suit complete with crown. I would not be surprised to see something like in a couture show.


Star Wars: Everything that princess Leia wears is fashionable, from the iconic white dress, to her slave bikini, and I love all of the ornate dresses and head pieces that Queen Amidala wears.

The khakis, leather belts, hooded knit capes, and knee-high boots of the fellas remind me of Michael Kors’ Fall2010 ready to wear. Go a little bit more literal and you have Acne’s Fall2010 show, with admitted inspiration coming directly from The Clone Wars.

New York magazine also references Star Wars’ influence on Rotarte’s Spring2009 collection.


The Thomas Crown Affair (1968): Some of it is very 60s, but most of it is timeless. I love the suits and the beach-chic outfits. You could walk into a GAP or Banana Republic and see the same thing (Banana Republic boyfriend chinos in white + GAP ultrafine turtleneck sweater), and for me that’s a good thing. Steve McQueen looks very handsome and dapper, pulls off short-shorts remarkably well, and Faye Dunaway is so stunning, just like in Bonnie and Clyde. They both look so effortlessly put together. The sunglasses she wears are very much like what I’d like to get a hold of!

...honorable mention coming as soon as soon as I can format this without wanting to punch things...

No comments:

Post a Comment