Sunday, April 25, 2010

Die already! Trends that neeed to go away

I remember strolling through my favorite shopping center in Santiago, Chile while I was studying abroad in 2007 (Dos Caracoles Nueva de Lyon, 45, Providencia- you ever been there, CG?) and while of course I thought most of the stores were great- I got one of my favorite shirts there- there were some stores, and some pieces that they carried that I laughed to myself about. I remember joking with friends as we were perusing the racks, pulling out these goofy MC Hammer pants, neon plastic bangles, and all sorts of leggings. It's funny that then it was amusing how 'behind' a lot of the fashion was in South America.

Turns out they were so far 'behind', they were just ahead of the fashion times. In or out, I still think these styles are awful and I can't wait for these ridiculous trends to die off. This is what I'm most sick of:
  • Hammer- oops, I mean Harem Pants. It looks like these babies have been back on Spring runways since 07 (3.1 Philip Lim, Haider Ackermann). I was flipping through the May issue of Bazaar and there was an article written by a man denouncing all things unflattering. And then, to my dismay, on the very next page was an article touting the utter chicness of the harem pant. They do nothing more for the female figure than a pair of sweatpants. I'm all for middle and far eastern fashion influences, but anything that  resembles this is a big NO for me.
  • Animal Print. I'm not a red paint-thrower, I really don't mind furs, or real leather, or animal print inspired shapes, but there's something about animal prints. There's no middle ground; it either screams white trash or an over done ultraluxe old millionaire. You can only pull it off if you're a kid...like when I had those zebra print swimsuit AND leggings in '89...
  • Neon. I know I'm a pretty low-key dresser, but I'm not completely against bright colors- In fact I just got this which I'm excited to wear with a nice tan, but real neon is just offensive. On silk, as a bangle, as earrings, or if you're trying to charge a hundred bucks for it under a hot label. I don't care. It crosses my color threshold into the blinding category.
  • Leggings with...everything.  I'm not denying the comfort and function of the legging, but I'm so sick of seeing them everywhere. Going to do some yoga? Leggings. Fine. But- Big sweater? leggings. Dress too short? leggings. Late for class? leggings. Want to keep wearing that micro mini skirt deep into fall? Leggings. Something to wear with those stupid Uggs? leggings... The legging has become the pant equivalent of the flip-flop. Not good.
  •  


photo posted by jaqueline1485 @ skirt.com, who says everything in moderation!

2 comments:

  1. Girl, you and I are like night and day sometimes! I wear leggings as often as possible (while acknowledging their ridiculousness, to be sure) and I would be thrilled to wear any one of the outfits in your neon collage! I enjoy our wildly conflicting viewpoints :-) Gives the blog some spunk, dontcha think?

    Totally with you on MC Hammer tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh no kidding! Blah but come on. I wore leggings to their death before I hit the age of ten. I can't regress. And the neon, well. It was actually a leap just to get yellow back in the wardrobe, hah.

    ReplyDelete